This video will show you how to correctly configure and install printer drivers for Windows 10. It includes the following:
- Windows Updates
- Devices & Printer Setup
- Manual Driver Download
Updating your printer drivers for Windows 10
Although Windows 10 can set up most printers and their drivers automatically, there are times when Windows Update runs into problems with installing the correct device driver – this is common, especially, if you have an older printer or scanner that was not meant to be compatible with Windows 10’s latest firmware. For example, it could happen that the printer service might not be working as it should, Windows can’t find the correct driver to install, or it downloads the incorrect package – this is where the Windows Update Catalog service is necessary to use, in the case that Windows 10 is unable to configure the printer or scanner automatically.
How to update your printer drivers with Windows Update Catalog:
The Windows Update Catalog is where you can manually download any of the updates previously released for Windows-based computers. It’s available at this link and is simple to use:
- Open the Windows Update Catalog and type in your printer device’s model number into the search box.
- Click on Search and your results will be displayed.
- Click Download on the driver that matches your PCs configuration.
- Click on the .cab link to download the driver cabinet file.
To extract the .cab file do the following:
- Open a command prompt window as administrator and navigate to the folder with the .cab file.
- Create a new folder to extract the driver files by typing in “md Printer“.
- Extract the files by typing in “FILENAME.CAB -F:* C:EXTRACTIONDESTINATIONFOLDER“.
- After extraction, you’ll end up with your driver files that should all be located in your destination folder, called Printer.
Install the printer driver manually:
- Open Device Manager and expand the Printers tree.
- Right-click on your printer and select Update Driver.
- Click Browse my computer for driver software.
- Click Browse again, and locate your printer driver folder.
- Click OK, Next, and Close. Followed by restarting your PC to complete the installation.