This video will show you how to fix your webcam if it’s not working in Windows 10. It includes the following:
- Camera Settings
- Windows Privacy Settings
- Webcam Driver Update
- Manual Driver Download
More about webcam issues
When your webcam’s not working in Windows 10, it could be because of drivers that are missing after a recent update, software conflictions, bugs, or misconfigured privacy settings. If your computer hasn’t been properly configured to support your current webcam, then you should install the correct driver for your webcam. Whether you have a built-in webcam on your notebook or have purchased an external one, it can be frustrating when it’s not working, and even more so when you don’t know if it’s the hardware that is the problem, or if it’s software related issues – software issues being more common of the two.
Also, it’s very important to note that many older webcam types don’t necessarily function correctly with the latest version of Windows 10 – some are only designed to have been used with older hardware and software in mind, this may be why it’s not working. Microsoft has brought in major compatibility fixes for older hardware and they continue to do so, but if your webcam is more than 10 years old there’s a chance it might not be up to standard with today’s technology. Windows 10 utilizes its own software and drivers to provide a universal gateway for all the device types – so when you plug it in, it should work correctly if it’s supported by Windows Update.
Possible fixes if your webcam is not working
- Unplug your device and reconnect it to a different USB port.
- Restart your PC and connect the webcam.
- Use Device Manager or Windows Update to install the latest drivers and updates for your webcam device.
- Check your privacy settings – Settings > Privacy > Camera > Allow apps to access your camera.
- Check webcam software – The software that manages your webcam.
- Rollback to a previous driver, uninstall your webcam software and restart the PC, then reinstall everything.
- Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to check for any underlying issues that are stopping your webcam from working.